Monday, June 15, 2009

Generational cooking - Bananas in my Bread Make Me Feel Warm & Fuzzy

Growing up, I remember so many recipes and meals that were made memorable. Foods that were made into traditions. Like my Mom's pork chops and scalloped potatoes or the ever-easy macaroni and tomato. My Grandma's cheesecake or her meringues. My stepmom's risotto with chicken gizzards. Even my stepdad's meatloaf.

These are the foods that give me the warm fuzzies. My version of comfort foods. Foods I enjoyed immensely growing up where the recipes were handed down to me from the people I love most. These are the recipes you just don't mess with. There is no need for improvement or "twists" - it's all good cooking made with that little something extra.

It's with this in mind that I'm sharing my banana bread recipe. The original recipe came from an old UCW (United Church Women) cookbook. One that was compiled by my Grandma with the help of the women in my family and my Uncle's illustration talents. It's the cook book that featured recipes from me and my two siblings. My first foray into the Foodie world, I suppose.

I've never changed this recipe. And it never fails to impress. Most of all, it impresses my family and it is my #1 requested recipe. I've baked this banana bread for friends, soccer team snack day, Mina's school, family functions.. the list goes on and on. And never once has it failed me.

If I had to pick a "Recipe BFF", the banana bread would be it. My hope is that, one day, Mina will look back on her childhood and thoughts of warm banana bread, straight from the oven, and the jokes of how quickly it was gobbled up will encourage her to master the recipe herself. And share it with her family.

Aww. So cheese. I must be hormonal.

The Best Banana Bread You'll Ever Make

Please note: There is a certain way to make this recipe. You can't change it or do it differently. It's never as good.

You need:

- 3 bananas (bananas must be frozen and then defrosted. They MUST be gooey and just a bit disgusting when you squeeze them out. The watery banana juice - it's your friend. Embrace it and include it.)
- 1 cup of white sugar
- Pinch of salt

- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup butter - melted (NOT 1/2 cup of melted butter. Cut 1/2 cup of solid butter and then melt it in the microwave).

To do:
- Preheat oven to 350.

- Grease a loaf pan. The deeper the better, it's a big loaf (if you're using small disposable ones, you'll probably need two).

- Mash the bananas in a smallish bowl. Take out some frustrations and mush the hell out of 'em. Lumps are okay, but completely mushed (not pureed) is best.

- Melt the butter in another small bowl in the microwave. Then cream in the sugar. This just means whip the hell out of it (I use a fork to do it) until it's somewhat creamy.

- Add in a beaten egg. The egg must be beaten before adding it to the butter/sugar mixture. And add it slowly and temper it in. You don't want scrambled egg in your loaf.

- Sift in the flour, baking soda and salt into a separate large bowl. If you can't sift it, whisk it to incorporate it all together.

- With a wooden spoon, stir the butter/sugar/egg mixture into the flour. Stir to incorporate - try not to overmix.

- Add in the mashed banana. Again, stir to mix.

- You may think that the mixture is too runny - it's not.

- Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake at 350 for 1 HOUR.


Enjoy!

Dinner tonight: Pork tenderloin with Sauteed Apples and Leeks. In a word: Outstanding. I have a few tweaks to do to the recipe (I think I'll grill the tenderloin next time instead of broiling it...), but it was pretty darn good. Recipe to come once it's perfected.

No comments:

Post a Comment