Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Foodie on the Hunt - Week 2


It has been nothing short of fantastic that when I tell my friends and co-workers about my summer plans and desire to find local food what a good resource they all become. Everyone knows someone or somewhere I can hunt down local food treasures.

This week? My friend, and co-worker, Tara, has a family member who owns Krug's Meat Market in Tavistock. After hearing her rave about the illustrious "candied sausage", I'm making meat my treat of the week.

This actually works out really well. We're doing a BBQ for Father's Day for my Dad (Murray) at my brother's house. Sausages were on sale, so we went and snagged a bunch and are going to serve all the typical, great BBQ food on Sunday for the "Dads". Grilled sausages and hot dogs for the kids. Greek salad, fruit platters and undoubtedly a nice dessert from my brother's family, my stepmom's classic cold pasta salad (I still use her recipe), my sister will find some great cheeses (she always does) and we'll bring the meat and they have requested my antijitos and my spicy shrimp.

This means I have to do a nice dinner for Jim on Saturday. It also means that I can't do anything "new" or "funny" - he doesn't do well with new experiments for his big meals. I'm hoping to find inspiration at the meat market for our main BBQ'd element. Of course, Jim adores my grilled kebabs. I'll either do grilled potato skins or my infamous whipped potatoes and a grilled ratatoille that he loves. Dessert? He loves my chocolate chip cookies and has been hounding me for weeks for a batch. I'll kick it up and use some to make little ice cream sandwiches.

Looks like a busy weekend already.

Dinner tonight - Chicken fajitas. Again, nothing fancy and Mina likes them. Unfortunately, she did NOT like the whole grain tortillas. Whole wheat she's usually okay with. When she can see the grains, not so great. I also tried the PC Fajita spice pack when normally I just make my own sauce. Big mistake. Don't mess with what's already good. Especially when it's too spicy for the baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment