Sunday, June 21, 2009

Found: Krug's Meat Market and a Father's Day Feast

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!

To celebrate, I made Jim a big dinner last night, filled with stuff he loves: pork, the BBQ and chocolate.

Before I get into the menu details, let me tell you about Krug's.

There is something heartwarming about finding a local "hot spot" that is so well loved in a small community that the line extends out the door. This is Krug's.

Found: Meat Market Extraordinaire. Also known as Krug's Meat Market. 28 Woodstock Street, South Tavistock, Ontario. 519-655-2221.

I love this place. Located about 15 minutes outside of Woodstock, it has a huge selection of really great quality meat (plus, bakery items, cheeses, pantry items as an added bonus). What I enjoy more though is the hospitality and charm. The staff are nice and helpful. Which I assume rubs off on the clientele, because they too - while waiting in a long line of anxious meat eaters - were kind and considerate. Refreshing.

What I got? A huge pork shoulder roast (more on that later), ground beef, a huge cut of their garlic smoked sausage and an even bigger cut of the candied sausage. Price tag? $25. Sweet.

What did the girls get? A Krug's wiener. Heaven for them and I think Lucy won the award for quickest to inhale a hot dog. Here they are, post-wiener, looking all happy and content.

I was starving, so I ate a huge chunk of the candied sausage on the way home. I'll take pictures of it today, since I'm bringing it to the Father's Day BBQ. It's smokey and sweet and chewy and all kind of yum.

Of course, my work wasn't done when we got home. I had to do Jim's dinner. Since the shoulder roasts looked pretty good at Krug's and I snagged one, I decided to do an Apple Glazed Pork Shoulder on the BBQ with grilled veggie kebabs and Chocolate Pots for dessert. All Jim's favourites. Dinner was delicious, but I still have a bit to learn on proper cuts of meat. While I use the shoulder cut often for pulled pork, it doesn't make that perfect roast. It was good, but next time I'll use a loin roast. Chocolate pots.. well.. nothing ever goes wrong with them other than my eating a small second helping. Ouch. My hips didn't thank me for that. My taste buds did though.

Apple Glazed Pork Roast

You Need (rub):
- 2 tbsp of ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp of paprika
- 2 tbsp of brown sugar
- 1 tbsp of celery salt
- 1 tsp of dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp of cayenne
You Need (glaze):
- 2/3 cup of apple sauce
- 3 tbsp of orange juice
- 1 tbsp of grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp of dry mustard
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Pinch of cinnamon

To Do:
1. Cook the pork using indirect heat. Place pork on far side of grill where there
is no direct heat. Leave it cook for 4-5 hours (internal temp around 145-150), rotating side to side every 30-45 minutes. When there are 2 hours left, start to glaze with every turn.

2. Tent pork for 10 minutes before serving.

3. To make the rub, combine all ingredients. Rub over pork roast and let sit minimum 3 hours, or overnight.

4. To make glaze, combine all ingredients and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes. Once cooled, use to glaze roast.

Chocolate Pots
You Need:
- 7 ounces of high quality semi-sweet chocolate - chop fairly finely

- 1/2 pint of heavy cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 ounces butter

To Do:
1. In heavy bottomed sauce pan, heat cream until *almost* a boil. Remove from heat.

2. Add in chopped chocolate, stir until melted. I often notice if there isn't enough and will add a good cocoa or another ounce of chocolate to thicken.

3. Lightly beat egg yolks in seperate bowl. Temper into chocolate.

4. Cool a bit
and stir in butter until glossy.

5. Serve in small glasses (it's rich, you don't need a lot) with your choice of fruit. My favourite? Raspberries. Mina loves banana though.

No comments:

Post a Comment