Thursday, July 16, 2009

... you don't have to wait for the main course

Today I'm thinking about appetizers. Antipasto, hors d'oeuvre, canape, amuse bouche... those little delicious tidbits that start what, you hope, is a delicious meal. It's like the promise of all the wonderful delicacies to come.

What has me chomping at the bit about finger foods? Our annual family BBQ. My time to shine. The entire family, congregated at my Mom's house for delicious food, good drinks and great company.

Usually held as a potluck, a few years back I "catered" the entire event with items like smoked pork roast, grilled ratatouille, BBQ gazpacho, ceviche with avocado crema....

Of course, that way a lot of work and pre-Lucy, so now we're back to potluck since I can barely find the time time tie my shoes, let alone plan/cook for the entire huge family. This year, I'm in charge of apps. So I'm digging up some old tried-and-true recipes (the antijitos never fail to get inhaled) and coming up with some new tasty morsels to try to *WOW* everyone with. Which brings up the question: Stick with what you know, or try something new.

This time, I've opted for "new to me". Tried and true from friends and recipes I've pulled over the years that I think look interesting with flavours I know work together. A bit of a risk, but how badly can I screw it up? (this is where Jim would bring up Lime Chicken...)

Here's my choices (top 13):
Endive spears with herbed goat cheese

Endive spears with grilled antipasto

Prosciutto wrapped figs stuffed with blue cheese

Twice baked potato bites (baby potatoes) topped with caviar

Caramelized onion tartlets

Pear and pecan toasts

Watermelon with feta and black olives

Watermelon with balsamic reduction and pistachio

Skewered bocconcini sandwiches (wth fresh mozza, capers and herbs)

Antipasto sausage skewers (with sundried tomato, artichokes, roasted red pepper, basil)

Red pepper triangles with Italian relish

Roasted red pepper, feta and basil bruschetta

Grilled shiitake mushrooms on rosemary skewers
So far, I'm leaning toward the figs (they're in season! but only if I can find them locally) and the pear and pecan toasts. I'm still wavering.. the caramelized onion tartlets would be mini-versions of my great onion tart... but it's more fitting for a cooler weather gathering. It doesn't scream SUMMER. And my basil looks fantastic right now, so using it would be fabulous.

Decisions, decisions. I'll be back with what I pick (and the recipe).

Dinner tonight? Grilled Korean ribs (shout out to the Memories of Korean BBQ sauce from President's Choice) with sauteed potatoes and sesame broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment