Sunday, July 26, 2009

Frenetically Fantastic Foodie Fight

Yeah.. I like alliteration.

Several months ago, I sat down with Mina to discuss what she wanted to do for her 8th birthday party. We've done a Splash Pad party, pool parties and, last year, was a Princess-themed sleepover. I tend to leave planning to the last minute and since Mina has a summer birthday our guest list is somewhat limited.

This year, I was determined to be proactive. Lori at work designed us some amazing invitations.
The invitations went out early. I had 12 RSVP's. And Mina's chosen theme? A FOOD FIGHT.

Everyone presumed us crazy. More than one person wasn't all that polite about our perceived insanity. But, in the end, 12 kids showed up and flung food at each other. And, I have to say, I am now the coolest Mom on the block.

Today's blog is dedicated to the Food Fight party. Mina had an amazing birthday party. The only thing I cooked was potatoes and spaghetti to fling at each other. We brought in the pizza and cake for the kids to eat, which made my life far less stressful. It turns out that I've discovered children don't really appreciate my "fancy" food. They just want the easy and good stuff thankyouverymuch.

Without further ado... the FOOD FIGHT:

Loot bags (inside: placemats, food-themed magnets, cookie cutters and a giant bag of GREAT candy - pop rocks, fun dip, tootsie pops...).














The ammunition (whole plum tomatoes, flour, coloured mashed potatoes, coloured spaghetti, Jell-O and whipped cream pies).


The Cak
e (was NOT thrown) - Cake was purchased at Sobey's in Woodstock. I have to admit - for a grocery store cake, it was delicious. The icing wasn't too sweet, the cake was moist and it tasted great. A very pleasant surprise. Plus, the Sobey's here has a far larger selection of character cakes. This means Mina won't be getting the same cake 2 years in a row (like last year).









Who is ready to fight?!










The fight ensues:










Part of Mina's birthday gift? A whipped cream pie and my face.

Overall, the party was a huge success. And it was incredibly easy to run. The weather cooperated wonderfully (rain just before and just after everyone left). I do think the adults had more fun chucking food at one another than the kids... they had "deer in the headlights" looks on their faces. I don't think they REALLY believed we were going to let them have at it with the food. I would totally recommend a Food Fight party for anyone looking to do something unique. Just prepare yourself for the inevitable claims on your sanity level. And for the clean up after. I'm still picking spaghetti out of the grass, despite heavy rainfall today that I was kind of hoping would wash things up for us. It's a good thing it's all brightly coloured - easy to spot the little bits I've missed.

No Foodie on the Hunt this week. I hunted down all the stuff for the loot bags and prepped all the food. I think I'm still good for raspberries or blueberries, so I think I know what we're getting next weekend.

Meal plan for the week:


Tonight: Moulton Meatloaf (look for the recipe tomorrow!), mashed potatoes and sweet glazed carrots.


Monday: Chicken and spinach three cheese pasta bake.


Tuesday: Mushroom pork chops, refried potatoes and peas.


Wednesday: Jim's "special ham" with broccoli.

Thursday: Chicken stir fry.


Friday: Grilled bangers with coleslaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment