Saturday, July 11, 2009

Foodie on the Hunt - Week 3

Better late than never, we're finally headed to pick our own strawberries. It happens every strawberry season where we head up north and by the time we get back blueberries and raspberries are ready and I get all excited for them and forget the good ol' strawberry. Not this year.

The nice thing about our local "pennysaver" type Friday night paper (that comes with all the lovely flyers) is that they have a pretty great listing of all the pick your own places. Normally, I'd head back to Red Barn - I know where it is, it's pretty close to home and convenient. But I've already been there this summer. Time to expand the horizons, right?

So I think we'll head to Thames River Melons - The Chesney farm. They're located within a 15 minute drive and, while I've seen their farm gate sales in parking lots throughout the city, I've yet to visit the farm.

Linky Link.

I'll have to call them to see how the strawberries are and if they're open tomorrow. Cross your fingers because there is no way we're headed out in thunderstorms and the like to get strawberries.

If they're not open, my plan is to hit them next week and go to this little Portuguese bakery that's in town and get some of their homemade pierogi. They even have "dessert" pierogi. Should be interesting.

I also meal planned for the week this week already this morning. Lucy was up early and I've had enough coffee to jolt a rhino. Jim's on afternoons next week, so it's just me and the girls. Here's the plan:

Tonight: The BBQ grilled cheese, tomato and basil sandwiches I didn't get to do last night (we ended up at the Cantebury Folk Festival, where we munched on overpriced food vendor fare).

Sunday: Beer Can Chicken, loaded baked potatoes and corn on the cob (if I can find decent corn).

Monday: Breaded pork bites, mashed potatoes and cherry tomato salad.

Tuesday: MINA'S 8TH BIRTHDAY!!! It's also soccer night, so you know we'll do homemade pizza and, of course, we'll have birthday cake.

Wednesday: Fettucini alfredo with mushrooms.

Thursday: Korean ribs on the grill, refried potatoes and steamed veggies (probably peas and carrots).

Friday: BBQ baked chicken wings with side salads.

No comments:

Post a Comment